Man do I love this guy Peter Arnell. Here is a guy who gets a degree in Architecture and then becomes one of the most influential Branders of all time! I'm not sure if Brander is a word. Anyway, this blog posting is how I reshaped my identity with others after I practically ruined it in a drunken stupor at a friends B-Day party (I may have lost it long before this event, but this event definitely put things into perspective). I'll get back to Arnell shortly.
This past June, I was BLACKEDOUT after continuously losing in almost every beer drinking game we could think of, and many handle pulls with a guy I apparently had a man crush on (He was the other BLACKEDOUT guy at the party, but lucky for him he didn't know any of us prior to the party and could probably care less as to what we thought of him). I also had been training hard for the month prior to spar some fierce competitors in the boxing ring, so I hadn't drunken alcohol for a while. Long story short, I don't remember the sun going down (We day drank).
BTW, in an unfortunate turn of events, this party landed at my EX- girlfriends house. So night comes and apparently I'm being a jerk to just about everyone, and the guy I suspect is my EX's new guy walks in... Chad proceeds to classlessly (not a word) throw a temper tantrum along with a bunch of other stuff I don't remember happening. Consider whatever image I had going for me-- DESTROYED.
So then I did what I always do and begged for forgiveness but not after being stubborn and prideful for a day. So what have I done since then?
1) Stopped dressing like a baseball player everyday, because when you don't play ball for "the team" it really doesn't make sense
2) Bought a new wardrobe (dress clothes and everyday wear)
3) Began flossing everyday to get rid of the gingivitis that I developed from many years of chew (Gingivitis gone after much deliberation and a visit to the dentists)
4) Cleaned my car once a week
5) Trained harder
6) Worked on being reliable everyday
7) Worked on drinking in moderation
8) Haircut every two weeks
9) Shaved at most every second day
These may seem so damn trivial and ridiculous but these steps transformed me and got me my mojo back in almost an instant. Perception is reality, not only for others but also for you! How I perceive myself now is equally as important as how others see me. I know it sounds terrible but we are all expressing our own brand and it's naive to think otherwise. People see you how you see you.
I almost gave myself a mohawk today, but I decided against it because its just not me right now. The mohawk I was going to have reflected a badass, not care what you think image. And sporting an image that isn't something I actually am or striving for is pointless. When McDonalds reinvents their brand with an introduction to morning coffee, they have the whole organization highlight their new selling perspective and everyone from the CEO to the local griller talks about their new addition. Their company lives their new image, and that is what I'm going to do with mine. If McDonalds’ suddenly took coffee off the menu but still pushed the image of the local stop for coffee, people would be like what the F$@#!?
Anyways the man that made me realize my transformation and also kicked it into high gear is Peter Arnell, the author of the book "Shift". He is the influence that made me start this blog, and create what I will now call my "FAN CLUB". This fan club is going to consist of my friends, family, and strangers and you guys are going to help me make sure I continue to pursue my goals as a student, entrepreneur, volunteer, and athlete.
I will give all of my viewers and people I email actual results of my efforts every month— effort being more important than results. I will be completely honest with my effort level.
Perception is reality. Go reconstruct your image, if you have to! Go get pretty.
Chad
No comments:
Post a Comment